New Year, New Decade, New Blog Series!
If you follow any of my social media accounts, you already know that I celebrated my 30th birthday this past weekend! You’ll also already know that the day started in the most ridiculous and painful way possible.
For those of you who aren’t in the loop…
It started with me waking up, and 15 minutes later, accidentally hitting my head off of a wall so hard that I gave myself a concussion! I can laugh about it now, but it really was not funny at the time. I’d be okay with never doing that again!
Strangely enough, though, all of this happened at the most perfect time. I know, that sounds weird – I don’t think there’s ever a “good” or “perfect” time to get a concussion, but I do think that everything happens for a reason. It was the perfect time because I have been planning a new series of blog posts, and was stressing over what I would actually write about. Life just went and handed it right to me!
Starting today, I’ll be writing a personal blog at the end of every month – a little insight into my life, behind the scenes here at Life is Beautiful Photography, and even some random musings. Since I just started a new decade of my life, what better time to kick things off!
- Concussions are not fun, and I have a new respect for anyone who’s ever had one. It’s definitely one of those things that you don’t understand until you’ve been there.
- Turning 30 is what you make it. Some people have told me that they dreaded it – they just weren’t ready to move on to this new chapter in their lives. I, on the other hand, welcomed it in with open arms! So many of my IG followers told me that their 30’s have been the best years of their lives, and I seriously cannot wait to see what’s in store :D
- When I was growing up, my dad taught me that life is all about perception. Things can be so different if you just change your perspective on things, or change the way that others perceive you. Instead of wallowing in the fact that I gave myself a concussion on my birthday, I decided to celebrate the fact that I made it 30 years without ever having one. I have been known to be more than a little clumsy, so this really is nothing short of a miracle.
- Self care is important. No one can work 24/7/365 – even business owners. I have to give a shout out to my IG friend @wendyzookphotography for sharing the most perfect insight on her profile a few days ago – “I always remind myself that I can’t pour from an empty cup.” Learning to take time off will help me not only offer a better service to my clients, but will also save my health and sanity ;)
- I have so many ideas just bursting out of my head right now, and it’s taking everything I have to not start them all right this very second! I don’t want to rush through them, and want to make sure they are absolutely perfect. So, that means slowing down, and working on one thing at a time. What’s next? A workshop for local business owners who want to take their social media game – and their businesses – to the next level! Sign up for the mailing list to get the details first!
- I miss wedding season. So much. Thankfully, though, I get to brush the dust off of my gear this weekend (it’s been a pretty quiet January! Canadian winters are not made for outdoor sessions…) and head out of town to shoot the wedding of an old friend. She and I have known each other since we were only two years old, and though life has taken us our separate ways more than a few times, I’m so incredibly honoured to be sharing in her wedding day!
Well, until next month, friends!
(It’s so cold and snowy outside… I spent my lunch break dreaming of warm weather and summer festivals, so this photo from Melissa & Riley’s engagement session seemed fitting!)